Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
this is a recipe i never thought i would like. but i LOVE it! it is so easy to make. sometimes i serve it over pasta, sometimes not. it's up to you. i have added meat to my spaghetti sauce before, but that really isn't necessary either because the eggplant is a meat substitute.
- 1 eggplant, washed and sliced into 8 1/2 inch slices, i use the nicer ones from the center and work my way out
- 473.18 ml mozzarella-parmesan cheese blend
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml milk
- 354.88 ml breadcrumbs, seasoned with garlic powder
- 236.59 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml spaghetti sauce
- cooked pasta
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- mix egg and milk together in bowl, blend.
- heat olive oil in med frying pan.
- dip eggplant slices into egg/milk mixture.
- dip eggplant into breadcrumbs.
- place 4 slices at a time, into olive oil in frying pan.
- fry eggplant on each side, until each side is golden brown (you want them crispy, not mushy).
- remove eggplant from skillet, and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- repeat dipping and frying proces with other 4 eggplant slices.
- place 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce into 9x13 casserole dish.
- place eggplant into bottom of cassserole.
- pour spaghetti sauce over top of eggplant.
- sprinkle mozzarella/parmesan cheese over top of spaghetti sauce.
- bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- serve over pasta if desired.
This is a good way to get rid of the bitterness in eggplant: After slicing the eggplant, use a salt shaker and sprinkle a goodly amount of salt on each slice. Allow to drain for thirty minutes over the sink (the salt draws the bitter juices out of the eggplant). Rinse well in cold running water and use as required.
i have made this several times and it's always a hit. i have served it with meat sauce and marinara -both are great. i have even used the egplant as a layer in regular lasagna to give it a different flare. it is wonderful!! thanks bratty!!!
I am always a lady in a hurry. Not being as time comsuming in preparation as other recipes did not take away from the flavor. I served this with a salad and a side of spaghetti with sauce. I intend to use the left overs for a couple of lunches.