Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From "Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook" and bakes the eggplant instead of frying. Of course soy cheese can be used instead of dairy.
- 1 large eggplant, ends trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano leaves (1/2 tsp dried)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375. Put eggplant slices on lightly oiled baking sheet and bake, turn once, until soft (~15 minutes). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover and cook, sirring a few times until softened (~5 minutes). Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread a layer of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Top with a layer of eggplant slices and sprinkle with a small amount of the Parmesan and mozzarella. Continue layering until the ingredients are used up, ending with a layer of sauce sprinkled with remaining cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly (~40 minutes). Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.