Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of Rozanne Gold's recipes, but I think I got it off Arthur Schwartz's website. It's great for a summer barbecue, as long as you can get away from the oven while it cooks.
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 medium onions
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried herbs such as thyme or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rosemary or 1⁄4 cup fresh herb, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Slice all the vegetables very thin.
- In a rectangular baking dish, put a layer of onions, eggplant, tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the layer with herbs, basil, salt and pepper.
- Continue layering, with the last layer being onion.
- Pour oil over vegetables.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 3 hours; you may need more time.
- As it bakes, press down on the vegetables every half hour or so; remove excess liquid with a baster.
- Vegetables will reduce in volume, and onions on top should be well caramelized when done.
- Cool, and cut into squares to serve.
Very good casserole. I made this exactly as written, next time I will add some garlic. A little time consuming on the cooking but well worth it.