Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
these arn't really much like meatballs except in looks. they are light and fluffy and best served immediately from the oven. the mixture can be made up to a day in advance.
- 18 ounces eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 20 kalamata olives (pitted and chopped)
- 4 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 8 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 egg, beaten (organic is best)
- butter, for greasing
- preheat oven to 450*F.
- cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and brush with olive oil.
- roast in the preheated oven for about 30 min, until golden and completely soft.
- let cool.
- peel off the skin (you can discard this) and chop the rest of the eggplant finely.
- reduce oven temp to 400*F.
- mix the eggplant, pine nuts, olives, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, egg, and 6tbs of the parmesan cheese together in a bowl.
- let rest for 10-15 minutes.
- grease a large cookie sheet.
- form the mixture into bite sized balls and put on cookie sheet.
- top each one with a pinch of the remaining parmesan cheese.
- bake for 15-20 min until golden and puffed up.
- serve hot.
Really excellent way to use up surplus eggplant from the garden after the first frost. Excellent served with a tangy tomato sauce. I used rice bread crumbs because my girlfriend is wheat free. I also used chopped walnuts because they were what I had. YUM!