Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is my favorite pizza, as I order it at the Hopvine in Seattle. Yum!
- 1 large thin prepared pizza crust (like Boboli)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled and sliced eggplants, in pieces about 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups thinly-sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled feta cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Place the oven rack on the middle rung; preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- If your pizza crust is unbaked, pre-bake it for 5 minutes.
- Combine the olive oil and pesto, then spread crust with the mixture.
- Place eggplant and mushrooms evenly over the pesto, then sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Season the pizza with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste.
- Bake on pizza pan or on pizza stone in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or the eggplant is cooked to preference, the crust edges are golden, and the feta is soft and beginning to brown (make sure to check it occasionally so that pizza doesn't burn).
- Note: those folks who like it a bit spicier can garnish their servings with red pepper flakes; also it's even better if you use prepared eggplant - take a look at my posted recipe "Hopvine's Marinated Roasted Eggplant".
I used Julesong's eggplant marinade recipe as she recommended to make this pizza (with home made dough from a different eggplant recipe). I doubled the eggplant recipe and didn't include any mushrooms. I also used homemade pesto (two heaping ice cube's worth, then added Parmesan and stirred it in, if you use that freezer storage method). It is a very good marinade that produces a strong balsamic flavored eggplant--yet you can still taste the rosemary, etc. I skinned my eggplants and then ran them through the quisinart. It was a very good pizza, just not five stars 'cause to me it was very strong and so has limited appeal. Thanks for the great recipe!
HAD a craving today! This recipe came my way! LOVE combination of eggplant, mushrooms, feta too! Came our perfect like posted TRUE! Used two tortillas Ol El Paso, as had on hand for me! This IS a great recipe! Next time will definate marinate eggplant, maybe carmalize mushrooms, red onions, capsium too, Perhaps add an artichoke or two! Need to bake tortillas for 30 minutes, true! Covered with al foil so did over burn too! YUMBERINI! Solved craving today! Thanks for the recipe made the Julesong way!