It's kind of like lasagna with lots of vegetables and, of course, eggplant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup portabella mushroom, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped (yellow, green, or red)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red cayenne pepper
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 400F and place the eggplant slices on a lightly-greased baking sheet.
- 2Bake the eggplant 8-10 minutes on each side, depending on how thinly sliced they are.
- 3While the eggplant is baking, combine the zucchini, onion, tomato, portobello mushroom, and bell pepper in a lightly oiled large frying pan.
- 4Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- 5Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables, and add the garlic, cilantro, Italian seasoning, red cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper (as much to your liking).
- 6Simmer covered on low for a few minutes to let the flavors mix.
- 7Pour a thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a medium sized (6 x 9 in) greased caserole dish, and layer eggplant over the top.
- 8Pour about half the tomato sauce over the eggplant, and finish the layer with half the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- 9Repeat with another layer of eggplant, sauce, and cheese.
- 10Bake the casserole at 400F for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Mozzarella Bake
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.7
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.6 mg
- Sodium 445.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
2% mozzarella cheese