Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's kind of like lasagna with lots of vegetables and, of course, eggplant.
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Mozzarella Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup portabella mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped (yellow, green, or red)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red cayenne pepper
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the eggplant slices on a lightly-greased baking sheet.
- Bake the eggplant 8-10 minutes on each side, depending on how thinly sliced they are.
- While the eggplant is baking, combine the zucchini, onion, tomato, portobello mushroom, and bell pepper in a lightly oiled large frying pan.
- Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables, and add the garlic, cilantro, Italian seasoning, red cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper (as much to your liking).
- Simmer covered on low for a few minutes to let the flavors mix.
- Pour a thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a medium sized (6 x 9 in) greased caserole dish, and layer eggplant over the top.
- Pour about half the tomato sauce over the eggplant, and finish the layer with half the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat with another layer of eggplant, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 400F for 30 minutes.