Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's kind of like lasagna with lots of vegetables and, of course, eggplant.
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Mozzarella Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup portabella mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely chopped (yellow, green, or red)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red cayenne pepper
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the eggplant slices on a lightly-greased baking sheet.
- Bake the eggplant 8-10 minutes on each side, depending on how thinly sliced they are.
- While the eggplant is baking, combine the zucchini, onion, tomato, portobello mushroom, and bell pepper in a lightly oiled large frying pan.
- Cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the vegetables, and add the garlic, cilantro, Italian seasoning, red cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper (as much to your liking).
- Simmer covered on low for a few minutes to let the flavors mix.
- Pour a thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture in a medium sized (6 x 9 in) greased caserole dish, and layer eggplant over the top.
- Pour about half the tomato sauce over the eggplant, and finish the layer with half the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat with another layer of eggplant, sauce, and cheese.
- Bake the casserole at 400F for 30 minutes.
Excellent blend of flavors. Great way to use up eggplant from the garden. This is very filling as a main dish, though I confess that I added 1/2 pound of spicy Italian sausage to the frying pan with the onions, peppers, and mushrooms. My only extra word of advice is to drain everything well or you will end up with too much watery liquid in the bottom of your baking dish.
delicious and so easy to make!