Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a low cal do ahead side dish. Make it as spicy as you wish.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 " cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, more if desired
- 1 dash pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a skillet.
- simmer gently 15- 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Can be done ahead and reheated in microwave.
Very nice, but I needed to add 1/4 cup water (I scaled down to 1 serving) because the mixture seemed to be drying out during the simmer. I didn't peel the eggplant, and also added a pinch of salt, and omitted the garlic. I'll definitely make this again when I need a quick veggie side.
I paid attention to the first review and doubled the tomatoes to help with the liquid problem. I also added a can of mushrooms and let it simmer away. Very tasty. I had leftovers so tonight I'm going to parboil some okra and add that to the pot!! Very good. Thanks for posting.
I love eggplant AND easy recipes and this one was great. I added a half of can of water and covered the skillet for the first 10 minutes of simmering, then removed the lid for the last 10 minutes and the eggplant was tender and moist. This is a keeper!!!!