Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A tasty vegetarian alternative to the meaty variety..
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 500 g eggplants, sliced lengthwise, unpeeled about 5mm thick (or 17.6 oz)
- 1 (440 g) can tomato puree (or 15.5 oz )
- 1 (440 g) can tomatoes, drained and chopped (or 15.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the griller.
- Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and brush it on the eggplant slices.
- Lay them in a single layer on a nonstick baking tray and grill both sides for about 3 minutes each or until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- In a bowl combine the tomato puree, tomatoes, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper and garlic.
- In another bowl combine the parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Spoon one third of the tomato mixture into the base of a lasagne or casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with one third of the breadcrumb mixture and cover with a layer of eggplant.
- Spread half the ricotta cheese over the eggplant and continue to layer in the same order, ending with the breadcrumb mixture (in my case hopefully).
- Scatter the mozzarella cheese over the top and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread.
Great recipe. I added one egg white to the ricotta cheese and used low fat cheese. Will make again for sure.
This was so delicious, if I hadn't made it i wouldn't know eggplant was even in there. I added an egg to the ricotta and a layer of mozerella in the middle. I also used a non-stick fry pan instead of a griller to brown the eggplant. I used Classico Tomato/pesto sauce (jar and a half) instead of making sauce to quicken it up. It was wonderful, even your non-vegetarian friends will like it! Having a mandolin to cut the eggplant evenly at 1/8 inch makes it much easier if you are lucky enough to have one. Next time I will peel the eggplant.
This was great! Tastes like "regular" lasagna w/out the guilt. I used fat free cottage cheese instead of ricotta. The metric conversations were a little tedious. Will make it again, soon.