Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This smells heavenly as it cooks. You can add more garlic if you like.
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) Kuku (Persian Eggplant) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggplants or 6 small eggplants, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, butter or 1⁄2 cup ghee
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Peel the eggplants, cut them lengthwise in quarters if they are large, and salt them to remove bitternes if necessary.
- Brush each side of the eggplant pieces with eggwhite to reduce the oil needed for frying.
- In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and stir-fry for 10 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the eggplant and garlic and stir-fry 10 minutes longer, until all sides are lightly golden brown.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour 4 tablespoons of oil into an 8-inch baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl.
- Add the parsley, saffron water, lime juice, baking powder, flour, salt, and pepper.
- Beat thoroughly with a fork.
- Add the eggplant, onion and garlic and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the dish and bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes, until the edge is golden brown.
- Serve the kuku from the baking dish or unmold it by loosening the edge with a knife and inverting the dish onto a serving platter.
- Remove the parchment paper.
Sensational recipe, Mirj, thanks for sharing. :D
MMMM This is great! I made a couple of changes: I used 1 teaspoon of butter to sauté the onions, and sprayed the pan with non stick cooking spray .. I also used lemon juice instead of lime (I don't like limes) .. I loved this and so did my husband (This is my new favorite recipe!) thanks for another wonderful recipe!
My DH and I LOOOVE eggplant in any fashion. I make some eggplant dish every week and I can't wait to explore new dishes based with eggplant. I was so exited to try this exotic dish. I did not change anything it came out really nice but we did not like the taste at all. Thank you for sharing but I will not make this dish again. I am sorry Mirj belive me I love everything you post not this time.