Prep 40 mins
Cook 8 mins
Try this instead of the traditional hush puppies!
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- oil, for deep-frying
- Put the eggplant cubes into a colander and steam, covered, over boiling water until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a bowl.
- Push the eggplant through the colander into the bowl in small amounts, mixing in enough eggplant to make a medium stiff dough.
- Stir in the onions.
- Set the mixture aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls into deep oil heated to 365 degrees and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
Ohhh, these were sooo good! Five stars just does not tell the story! I followed the recipe with just one exception, I added a big splash of hot sauce. I am a big eggplant fan and this recipe will be a regular on my dining table.
These are the very best Hush Puppies that we have ever eaten. The eggplant adds such a good flavor. I cut the recipe in half, steamed the eggplant in a steamer basket, put it in a bowl and mashed it with my stick blender, easy. Then made it them with half whole wheat & half white flour as suggested. Thank you Sharon for another yummy recipe.