Recipe by Sharon123
Try this instead of the traditional hush puppies!
Top Review by Happy Harry #2
Ohhh, these were sooo good! Five stars just does not tell the story! I followed the recipe with just one exception, I added a big splash of hot sauce. I am a big eggplant fan and this recipe will be a regular on my dining table.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (I use 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- oil, for deep-frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the eggplant cubes into a colander and steam, covered, over boiling water until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the corn meal, flour, baking powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a bowl.
- Push the eggplant through the colander into the bowl in small amounts, mixing in enough eggplant to make a medium stiff dough.
- Stir in the onions.
- Set the mixture aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls into deep oil heated to 365 degrees and fry until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.