Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the final recipe I am entering from the "1 of a Kind" cookbook of the Junior League of Mobile, AL. It is yet another eggplant recipe, but 1 I found especially appealing for its use of prepared stuffing mix & simple ingredients w/a quick & easy prep. I have not tried this, but hope some of you will give it a try & enjoy the outcome.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 1⁄3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing (divided)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained, or use 3-4 fresh tomatoes, seeded & chopped)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (approx 2 1/2 cups, shredded or grated)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, cube & parboil eggplant for 5 min in boiling water. Drain well & set aside.
- Butter a 2 qt baking dish. Begin by sprinkling 2/3 cup of stuffing mix on the bottom & then place 1/2 of the eggplant on top of the stuffing.
- Distribute entire amt of onion, bell pepper & tomato evenly over the eggplant & then 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese over that.
- Then layer on the remainder of the stuffing mix, eggplant & mozzarella cheese (in that order) & top evenly w/Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 min or till hot & bubbly. Serve immediately.
- NOTE #1: This is 1 of several recipes I have seen lately to suggest parboiling eggplant. I have always sauteed eggplant in olive oil till just slightly tender for such uses & assume that can be done here as well if your pref.
- NOTE #2: While not a part of the recipe, the use of garlic here would be a must for me. If you agree, then lightly sprinkle garlic powder (or salt if your choice) over the onion, bell pepper & tomato layer b4 completing assembly of the casserole.
I love eggplant parmesan, but since i'm a lifetime weight watchers member, i don't indulge in the real stuff too often. this was a nice, very quick to assemble fake-out. i used italian style diced tomatoes, as the recipe seemed like it would be kind of bland without some additional seasoning. i also used fat free mozzarella, and reduced fat parmesan. very good recipe!
OMG this was so good. I'm not that familiar with eggplant, but we really enjoyed the flavor and texture of this recipe. I halved it for just the two of us, but other than that made as is. I also added the suggested garlic salt and sauteed the eggplant in a little olive oil as suggested. The only thing I will do differently next time is I may saute the onions and peppers a little before adding to the recipe. Thanks twissis