Recipe by twissis
This is the final recipe I am entering from the "1 of a Kind" cookbook of the Junior League of Mobile, AL. It is yet another eggplant recipe, but 1 I found especially appealing for its use of prepared stuffing mix & simple ingredients w/a quick & easy prep. I have not tried this, but hope some of you will give it a try & enjoy the outcome.
Top Review by erroranalysis
I love eggplant parmesan, but since i'm a lifetime weight watchers member, i don't indulge in the real stuff too often. this was a nice, very quick to assemble fake-out. i used italian style diced tomatoes, as the recipe seemed like it would be kind of bland without some additional seasoning. i also used fat free mozzarella, and reduced fat parmesan. very good recipe!
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 1⁄3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing (divided)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained, or use 3-4 fresh tomatoes, seeded & chopped)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (approx 2 1/2 cups, shredded or grated)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, cube & parboil eggplant for 5 min in boiling water. Drain well & set aside.
- Butter a 2 qt baking dish. Begin by sprinkling 2/3 cup of stuffing mix on the bottom & then place 1/2 of the eggplant on top of the stuffing.
- Distribute entire amt of onion, bell pepper & tomato evenly over the eggplant & then 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese over that.
- Then layer on the remainder of the stuffing mix, eggplant & mozzarella cheese (in that order) & top evenly w/Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 min or till hot & bubbly. Serve immediately.
- NOTE #1: This is 1 of several recipes I have seen lately to suggest parboiling eggplant. I have always sauteed eggplant in olive oil till just slightly tender for such uses & assume that can be done here as well if your pref.
- NOTE #2: While not a part of the recipe, the use of garlic here would be a must for me. If you agree, then lightly sprinkle garlic powder (or salt if your choice) over the onion, bell pepper & tomato layer b4 completing assembly of the casserole.