Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Posted by request, use up those extra green peppers!
Make and share this Eggplant (Aubergine) & Green Pepper Kugel recipe from Food.com.
- Peel eggplant; dice into 2" cubes.
- Simmer with salt in water to cover in medium-size saucepan 20 minutes to tender.
- Mash in large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in medium-size skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, pepper and pine nuts; cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add to eggplant in bowl.
- Stir in basil, eggs, matzoh, salt and pepper.
- Scrape into greased small casserole.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated moderate (350'F) oven for 35 minutes to heat through.
Since I really like eggplant and kugel I thought this would be a neat combination. I ended up making some adaptions and came up with something a little different called Vegetarian Mousaka Kugel. The original kugel did not have any color so I added some colored peppers and a spoonful of tomato paste. I also found that after I boiled the eggplant they were like little sponges and I actually mashed it in the strainer. Also 2 eggs seemed like too much so I cut it back to 1. Once the eggplant was mashed and I added in the peppers it didn't seem like enough for the 2 eggs. All in all the original recipe was helpful as a basis for me.