Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a wonderful way to eat eggplant. Its also a nice item to serve when you are grilling for vegetarians :-) Doubles, triples, etc very easily!
- 1⁄8 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil (I use canola)
- 2 baby eggplants, halved lengthwise
- salt, to season
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil, to grill (I use canola)
- Slice a bit off the skin side of the eggplant so they lie flat, and score both sides in a criss-cross pattern.
- Heat your grill to medium.
- Combine hoisin and oil, and whisk vigorously, set aside.
- Brush both sides of your eggplant halves with 1/2 tablespoon oil, and season with salt.
- Grilled until charred and tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- With a brush, generously coat both sides of eggplant with the reserved hoisin/oil mixture.
- Return eggplant to grill and allow to glaze 1 minute per side, no more, as it will burn.
- Serve immediately!
Mmmmm...so simple, but so good. I did not mix my hoisin sauce with oil and it seemed to stick fine. It is a really strong taste but soooo good! I sprinkled my eggplant with salt a bit before grilling and rinsed to draw out the "bitter juices" (Or so I've heard) and grilled inside on my tabletop:o)
Really good. I happen to love eggplant with garlic, so I mashed 1 garlic clove into the oil and brushed the eggplants with this before grilling. Perfect with the hoisin sauce.