Recipe by Boca Pat
I was looking for something to do with an eggplant that looked like it only had alittle time left and I came across this recipe. I served it as a side dish, but it would work well as an appetizer also.
Top Review by Bippie
Awesome! Very easy to make. I made two changes: one change in that I was out of dried basil, so I used 1 Tbs pesto from the jar instead of the basil and oregano. I think it gave these a really good flavor. The second change was that I sprayed my pan with olive oil cooking spray before each batch instead of frying them in the oil. Thanks for a great dinner.
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (about one lb)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh-grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, mixed with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant in saucepan;cover with water and bring to boil; reduce heat, cover pan and simmer about 5 minutes or until eggplant is very soft; drain well.
- Mash eggplant and whisk or beat with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
- Stir in egg, butter, basil, oregano, parmesan, salt& pepper.
- Add 3 tbsp flour mixed with 1/2 tsp baking pwdr; heat 1 1/2 inches oil in large heavy pot to 350 degrees and drop batter by tbsp into oil.
- Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until well browned.
- Drain on paper towels.