Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a spicy dip that could be served with Flat Bread, Nan bread or Turkish Bread. The recipe was found in a book called 'Creative food - Finger Food' by The Australian Woman's Weekly.
- 1 (300 g) eggplants, medium size
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup yoghurt (natural yoghurt)
- Place eggplant on oven tray. Bake, uncovered, in moderate oven 180°C about 40 minutes or until soft.
- Remove eggplant and place eggplant in paper bag for 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard eggplant skin, chop flesh.
- Blend or process eggplant with remaining ingredients until smooth. You may need to add more yoghurt depending how smooth or thick you prefer your dip. Cover, refrigerate until cold.
I'm really sorry to the person who shared this recipe, I hope you take no offense to this review, however, I read the other reviews and thought that it seemed like this was a keeper. I made 5 different dips for an event, all of them turned out great, the 8 loaves of bread I made by hand were perfect, and this dip did not even get served. My husband and I are not picky, and hate wasted food, but I am not sure what to do with the big bowl of mush I have in my fridge! It is bland, even after adding 4X the spice called for, and the breadcrumbs give it a revolting texture. I use Recipezaar daily, but have never bothered to go back and review a dish, until now. There are many other eggplant spread recipes out there, this one is NOT the one you want.
I questioned this recipe for a little while, but as soon as I heard the oohs and ahhs it received at the Australian dinner party, I knew I found a keeper. I followed the recipe exactly as written and served with pita chips.
This way of cooking eggplant is 5 star and so was the texture and thickness of the dip which made me very happy. I had no yoghurt so dropped a slurp of whipping cream into food processor. I used herbs straight from my garden which I so love doing. Great dip and so so simple !!