Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An adopted recipe. I love eggplant, and am looking forward to trying this one out and editing it if necessary.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons minced yellow onions or 3 tablespoons red onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In covered saucepan, cook eggplant in a small amount of boiling water until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and mash.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except oil.
- Shape into patties.
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown, about 5 mins on each side.
Made these last night with eggplant and chopped green peppers from the garden, subbed ground flaxseed and quinoa for some of the breadcrumbs. You can easily add more if the mixture is too runny. Definitely drain the eggplant after cooking down.
I like made them into cylinder shapes - they are delicious with a bit of greek yogurt or sour cream on the side!
Very good! DH and I have made this several times! The first time we made it, it fell apart and was a little bit runny. I credit this to not fully draining the eggplant. After this I put the cooked and chopped eggplant in a couple of paper towels (sounds weird, but no paper towel fibers stuck to the eggplant) and squeezed the water out. It had a much thicker consistency and was easier to work with. Wonderful!
I forgot to buy basil on the night I was making this, and instead of the cheddar I used Emmental (because that is the kind of cheese you can buy shredded at the French supermarket). It was YUMMY! I made two big eggplant "omelets" instead of smaller croquettes and my eggplant-wary copain said it was delicious. Next time I make it, I might want to try adding chopped tomatoes to the mix.