Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
tasty and easy recipe. serve with a garden green salad, with large slivers of parma cheese and a glass of red wine. Delicious.
- 3 medium eggplants, washed and sliced into rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil, which will not absorb as much into the eggplant when frying
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 7 fresh peeled tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- Wash and slice the eggplant.
- Sprinkle well with some salt in a strainer and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse salt off well, and pat dry on towelling.
- Heat the first amount of oil in a fry pan and saute each slice of eggplant just until golden with brown colourings.
- Arrange eggplant in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Hint: sometimes I brush oil on my eggplant and place on a cookie sheet, and bake in the oven turning once to brown each side, maybe a total of 12 minutes, instead of the frying.
- Also with the pan frying you might have to add more oil, as the eggplant will absorb the oil.
- (or use peanut oil which does not get too absorbed into vegie.).
- After layering into your baking dish set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the second tablespoon on olive oil in a skillet and saute onion, peppers, and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook two minutes.
- Add the paste, and water and spices.
- Cook until thickened.
- Pour over the eggplant evenly.
- Sprinkle with the romano cheese.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- Sprinkle with the black pepper freshly ground.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and browned and all is heated thru.
- approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- As you can tell from this recipe each item is already cooked to your preference before going into the oven for final 15 minutes.
- So the thickness of the sauce and doness of the eggplant is already almost to its peak.
- Alternative topping.
- 3 whole eggs, a quarter cup of cheese grated and 1 cup bread crumbs, make a paste and smear over the top evenly (like a pie crust) then place in oven to bake the 20 minutes.
Of the three recipes I made and reviewed for Fall '09 PAC, this was my favorite. I liked it so much I've made it three times :) I took it to work for a potluck and it was devoured in no time ... AND I made the last batch and froze individual servings for lunches. Wonderful, wonderful dish!