tasty and easy recipe. serve with a garden green salad, with large slivers of parma cheese and a glass of red wine. Delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium eggplants, washed and sliced into rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil, which will not absorb as much into the eggplant when frying
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 7 fresh peeled tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated romano cheese
- 1Wash and slice the eggplant.
- 2Sprinkle well with some salt in a strainer and let sit for 30 minutes.
- 3Rinse salt off well, and pat dry on towelling.
- 4Heat the first amount of oil in a fry pan and saute each slice of eggplant just until golden with brown colourings.
- 5Arrange eggplant in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- 6Hint: sometimes I brush oil on my eggplant and place on a cookie sheet, and bake in the oven turning once to brown each side, maybe a total of 12 minutes, instead of the frying.
- 7Also with the pan frying you might have to add more oil, as the eggplant will absorb the oil.
- 8(or use peanut oil which does not get too absorbed into vegie.).
- 9After layering into your baking dish set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 10Heat the second tablespoon on olive oil in a skillet and saute onion, peppers, and celery for 5 minutes.
- 11Add the tomatoes and cook two minutes.
- 12Add the paste, and water and spices.
- 13Cook until thickened.
- 14Pour over the eggplant evenly.
- 15Sprinkle with the romano cheese.
- 16Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- 17Sprinkle with the black pepper freshly ground.
- 18Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and browned and all is heated thru.
- 19approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- 20As you can tell from this recipe each item is already cooked to your preference before going into the oven for final 15 minutes.
- 21So the thickness of the sauce and doness of the eggplant is already almost to its peak.
- 22Alternative topping.
- 233 whole eggs, a quarter cup of cheese grated and 1 cup bread crumbs, make a paste and smear over the top evenly (like a pie crust) then place in oven to bake the 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Creole Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 164.5
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 6.4 mg
- Sodium 193.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g