Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Eggplant con penne
- 4 cups cubed eggplants (1 2/3 inch cubes, about 12 oz)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup chopped olive (I like black olives)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups hot cooked penne
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place eggplant in a large bowl; drizzle with 2 T oil, tossing well to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes stirring once.
- Heat the remaining 1 T oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Add onions; saute' 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and garlic.
- Saute' 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to med and cook 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in eggplant, remaining 1/4 t salt, olives, seasonings.
- Cook 2 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.
I love vegetarian cuisine and this recipe was so delicious. The roasted eggplant and wine-tomato sauce were well seasoned and had a perfect saucy consistency. My husband and I sure enjoyed it and he took the left-overs to work for lunch. It's pretty healthy too. Thanks Cocoa.
Made this for dinner last night. It was fantastic! I used diced tomatoes instead of stewed tomatoes but I doubt that changed the flavor much. It smelled so good while it was cooking. This will be added to my favorites, fix often list. Thanks, Cocoa, for a tasty, healthy recipe.
Oh no. Thank *you* so much for trying it! I'm glad you liked it!