Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An interesting appetizer made from vegetables. It has no fish in it and really nothing in common with the fish egg product it's named for. I believe it takes it's name because it resembles the look of caviar. This recipe is from the Fannie Farmer cookbook twelfth edition 1979
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 scallions, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Bake the eggplant for 1 hour.
- When it is cool enough to handle, peel and chop coarsely.
- Blend in the scallions, parsley, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil in the blender or food processor.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add the coarsely chopped eggplant and salt to taste.
- serve chilled or at room temperature with crackers, corn chips or tortilla chips.