Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I sometimes add about 1/2 teaspoon or more of Old Bay Seasoning to this recipe to make it taste like mock oyster pie.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 cups saltine crackers, crushed (divided)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted (I use less)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook eggplant in small amount of water until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Combine all ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup each of the cheese and crackers and a small amount of the margarine.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased baking dish.
- Top with the reserved cheese, crackers and small amount of melted margarine.
- Bake at 325° to 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.
I've made this casserole for years but I always drain a can of corn and throw it in.
Terrific! A great way to use eggplant. It's kind of custardy. You can't tell by looking at it or tasting it that there is eggplant in there. I like the suggestion in the recipe introduction about using Old Bay. I can see how that really would make it taste like mock oyster pie. Thanx for the tip for next time!
This eggplant dish is soooo good. I only had two of the elongated variety of eggplant and I didn't think they would equal to a medium sized oval eggplant so I cut the other ingredients in half. I did, however, only use 1 tablespoon of melted margarine. My hubby and I were very pleased with this delicious recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it!