Recipe by Jane Gib
My great-aunt used to do this during the war. Its a casserole which she used to say warms the hearts of tired soldiers. hope it works for you
- 600 g baby eggplants
- 300 g tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 onion
- 150 g green olives
- 1 celery rib, par cooked
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- wash and dice the eggplants and soak them in salted water for half an hour.
- drain, dry and fry them in a little oil, until golden. keep the oil in the frying pan.
- place on a kitchen paper/towel to drain completely, then place them on a serving dish.
- go back to the oil and in the same pan fry the onions, add the tomatoesand the diced celery. season to taste.
- cook for about 15 min, then add the olives, diced, the caper, vinegar and sugar.
- cook for a further 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- pour the sauce over the eggplant.