Recipe by Scott's Sassy Girl
I got this recipe off a soup can many years ago. It is very easy to make and very tasty. I have made a veriation instead of putting 1/2 cup of cheese on top I use the Freches French Fried Chedder Onions they seem to make it very crunchy and very good. It called for cream of mushroom soup but I use cream of celery which gave it a good taste.
Top Review by *Parsley*
This is terrific when you just need something different to do with eggplant. It's nice and creamy and the onion topping adds a a nice crunch. I didn't bake it quite as long as written, but otherwise I stuck to the recipe. Thanx for a new use for eggplant!
- 2 lbs eggplants, cubed & peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil eggplant and onion in enough water to cover and salt for 20 minutes. Drain very good.
- Mix all other ingredients to eggplant and onion mixture. Spray a 11/2 quart casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Add the eggplant mixture to the casserole dish. Put the french fried chedder onions on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.