Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Really very tasty and a bit different.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn, cracked
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 lb eggplant, cut into 2x1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 lb Italian-style stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet or flameproof casserole over medium high heat.
- Cook cumin seed 15 seconds or until dark brown.
- Stir in fennel(if using) and pepper.
- Immediately add onions and garlic sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden.
- Stir in next three ingredients.
- Add eggplant and reduce heat to medium.
- Sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant softens.
- Stir in tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in beans.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and cheese has melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with Beaujolais, Fumé Blanc or Chiantí.