Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a WONDERFUL and DELICIOUS antipasti or appetizer for an Italian Dinner that your guests will love.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 793.78 g can chopped tomatoes
- 118.29 ml pitted black olives (chopped)
- 59.14 ml capers
- 59.14 ml fresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 59.14 ml wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Wrap the eggplants in aluminum foil and place onto baking sheet.
- Bake until soft and the skin is charred, about 1 hour.
- Slice open the eggplants and scoop out all of the insides, placing it into a large bowl.
- Chop the eggplants with a fork& add the chopped onions, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with a fork.
- In a large pan add a few tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and cook the celery and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick.
- Add the eggplant mixture, olives, capers, parsley and wine vinegar to the tomato mixture, and cook on low for 15 minutes.
- Check seasonings and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Serve with toasted baguettes, garlic toasts or pita bread with which to spread it on as an antipasti or appetizer.
I can't give you five stars yet, because I have not made this, But this recipe sounds much closer to what I am looking for than those others posted. simple pantry ingredients, and a short list of them. As soon as I read this, I knew these were the flavors that I have loved in Caponata since I was young. I will be tryng this tonight! Thank you.