1 hr 30 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is a WONDERFUL and DELICIOUS antipasti or appetizer for an Italian Dinner that your guests will love.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 eggplants
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives (chopped)
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Wrap the eggplants in aluminum foil and place onto baking sheet.
- 3Bake until soft and the skin is charred, about 1 hour.
- 4Slice open the eggplants and scoop out all of the insides, placing it into a large bowl.
- 5Chop the eggplants with a fork& add the chopped onions, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- 6Mix well with a fork.
- 7In a large pan add a few tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and cook the celery and garlic for 5 minutes.
- 8Add the tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick.
- 9Add the eggplant mixture, olives, capers, parsley and wine vinegar to the tomato mixture, and cook on low for 15 minutes.
- 10Check seasonings and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- 11Serve with toasted baguettes, garlic toasts or pita bread with which to spread it on as an antipasti or appetizer.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Caponata Spread
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 142.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 436.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 5.3 g