Eggplant (Aubergine) Caponata
- To prepare vegetables, chop onions, peel and dice eggplant and mince celery.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onion for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add eggplant and tomato paste; stir until evenly blended.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add celery, olives, vinegar, lemon juice and honey; cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Chill overnight and serve very cold.
- Caponata will keep for several weeks refrigerated. Serve with homebaked bread, flatbread, toasted Italian Bread, or Garlic Bread.