Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice to serve with bread.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 cup green olives or 1⁄2 cup black olives
- 2 tablespoons wine or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- To prepare vegetables, chop onions, peel and dice eggplant and mince celery.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onion for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add eggplant and tomato paste; stir until evenly blended.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add celery, olives, vinegar, lemon juice and honey; cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Chill overnight and serve very cold.
- Caponata will keep for several weeks refrigerated. Serve with homebaked bread, flatbread, toasted Italian Bread, or Garlic Bread.