Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
How to use up that extra eggplant especially if it is starting to look a little sad. Great with any Mediterranean type meal
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil.
- Remove the eggplant stalks and place the eggplants in the boiling water and boil vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Drain off the water and leave to cool.
- Squeeze any excess liquid from the eggplants and chop finely.
- Place in a bowl, add the basil, crushed garlic, Pecorino, egg and a large pinch of salt.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add enough breadcrumbs to hold the mix firmly.
- Form the mixture into walnut sized balls and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Heat plenty of corn oil in a deep pan.
- Fry the eggplant balls in batches so that they have enough room to move about in the oil.
- They should be golden-brown after about 5 minutes.
- Leave to dry on paper towels.
- Serve hot or cold.
These are delicious and very nice as an hors d'ouevres (we call them 'meze' in Greece) with drinks. Nicely flavoured and you can't stop at one!