Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is great served with rice but it's so tasty I find it tempting to lap the whole dish up on its own.
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- 1 (500 g) jar tomato sauce (I like a spicy one)
- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped basil
- 50 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated (or substitute mozzarella for a more authentic Italian dish)
- Preheat the oven to 200F or 400 degrees F.
- Lay out the eggplant slices on lightly oiled baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes.
- Then flip the slices and bake for another 10 minutes or until the slices start to brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the zucchini for a couple minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for another couple minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and stir in the garlic and basil.
- Let simmer for a few minutes until the flavours start to mix.
- Add salt and pepper to season.
- In a casserole dish, cover the bottom with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Follow with a layer of eggplant, some more tomato sauce and a sprinkling of both cheeses.
- Repeat the layers of eggplant, cheese and tomato sauce until the eggplant is gone, reserving a little bit of tomato sauce and both cheeses.
- Spread the last of the tomato sauce over the top and finish with the leftover cheese.
- Bake for around 30 minutes or until the top is blistered and bubbling.
This recipe is so easy and so delicious! I used 2 X 400g cans of chopped tomatoes instead of the tomato sauce and fresh tomatoes. My only reservation is that the flavour is so intense that the dish is not suitable as a side dish.