Recipe by Sherrybeth
This came from a great lady in south Louisiana who I love dearly. She was nice enough to share this with me and told me I could share with you.
- 3 large eggplants
- oil, for frying eggplant
- 2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (11 ounce) jars green olives
- 1 1⁄2 cups capers
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into 1 inch cubes.
- Fry on all sides in 1/2 inch of salad oil.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil.
- Add tomato paste and cook slowly for 10 minutes.
- Add water and remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for at least 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- You can store this in the refrigerator for up to one week, or process it in a water bath (per your canners canning instructions).