Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
One of my personal favourites. Recipe description may appear long, but is really very easy. A bought tomato sauce can be used if preferred. Reheats well.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 zucchini
- 900 g tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh torn basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 350 g mozzarella cheese
- Thinly slice eggplant and zucchini lengthwise.
- Sprinkle with salt and place in colander, cover and leave for 30 minutes.
- Put tomatoes in bowl of boiling water for 40 seconds, then plunge in cold water.
- Using a sharp knife, peel off skin.
- Finely chop onion.
- In a large pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil add garlic and cook until coloured, add onion and cook gently until softened.
- Add tomatoes and sugar, bring to the boil, simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered to allowed sauce to thicken and reduce.
- Season with salt and pepper and add a few basil leaves.
- Rinse eggplant and zucchini and pat dry.
- Dip vegetables in flour and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in bowl and add parmesan cheese.
- In frying pan, heat oil.
- Dip eggplant and zucchini in egg mixture and fry until golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Slice mozarella cheese.
- Assemble dish by layering the ingredients in a 20cm (8 inch) springform cake tin.
- Place of third of eggplant in bottom, add half zucchini and a third of the cheese, tomato sauce and basil leaves.
- Then add a layer of eggplant, cheese, tomato sauce, basil leaves, remaining zucchini, cheese, tomato sauce, basil leaves and finally eggplant.
- Sprinkle over parmesan cheese and bake in oven 20-25 minutes until golden.
Lovely! It was a bit long to cook seing as you have to fry the vegetables first but the end result was great. Next time I don't think I'll cut the vegetables lengthwise though as I was left with big slices of skin from the sides. Apart from that it was delicious...thanks!!!