1/6 Photos of Eggplant (Aubergine) and Tomato Crisp
1 hr 5 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
I got this from the Delicious Living magazine (Oct. 2006). They have quite a few good recipes this month. I used sourdough bread for the breadcrumbs since I had a ton of it and it still turned out great. Not sure if the sourdough made it better or not. Have to try it the regular way too. I also used all dry seasonings, instead of fresh. It's a little time consuming, but great on a fall day. Oh, don't bother to peel the eggplant. It was fine unpeeled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; brush on both sides of eggplant, bell pepper and tomato slices.
- 2Place vegetables on a large baking sheet. Jellyroll pan works nice.
- 3Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes.
- 5Lightly coat a shallow casserole or gratin dish with cooking spray.
- 6Place a layer of eggplant on bottom; top with a layer of bell pepper, then a layer of sliced tomatoes.
- 7Repeat layers, using all remaining vegetables and ending with a layer of tomatoes.
- 8Mix together all topping ingredients except fresh basil leaves.
- 9Sprinkle over vegetables.
- 10Bake for 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) and Tomato Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.5 mg
- Sodium 105.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs