Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- olive oil or salad oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 3 large red peppers
- 3 large green peppers
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees.
- In 1-Qt saucepan over low heat, add olive oil or salad oil.
- Cook garlic until browned, discard garlic.
- Cut each pepper lenghtwise in half, Remove seeds and stems.
- Brush pepper halves on all sides with oil mixture.
- Arrange pepper halves in a large open roasting pan.
- Roast pepper 25-30 minutes until skin puckers and peppers are tender, turning occasionally.
- Allow peppers to cool slightly.
- Remove skin from peppers, discard skin.
- Meanwhile, while peppers are roasting, slice eggplants crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In pie plate, mix egg and milk.
- Place bread crumbs on waxed paper.
- Brush 151/2 x 101/2 jelly roll pan with 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Place eggplant slices in pan, arranging them so they fit in one layer.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- About 7-9 inches from sourceof heat at with oven control set at 450 degrees.
- Broil eggplant about 10-15 minutes until tender and lightly browned on both sides, turning slices once.
- Turn oven control to 350 degrees.
- Slice mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange pepper halves, eggplant slices and mozarrella cheese in 12 x 8 casserole or baking dish.
- Cover casserole and bake for 20-25 minutes until mixture is hot and cheese melts.
- Sprinkle with sun-dried tomato slices.
This was the main dish for all veggie dinner. I doubled it all and when it was ready to bake I had arranged the peppers(yellow and red)in casserole like cups, placed a paper-thin slice of red onion on it followed by the eggplant and ending with sliced cheese. I was worried that it might be a bit dry and placed a tsp. of seasoned tomato sauce,spread it out and sprinkled the sun-dried tomatoes. It turned out just wonderful and was already requested to be served again. Thanks for a great one!