Recipe by Julesong
For a change of pace, try this eggplant and rice dressing to serve with your meats - delicious! Prep time does not include cooking of rice.
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground lean pork or 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 medium eggplants, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup cooked wild rice (you may omit if you use 3 cups long-grain rice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy pot over medium high heat, brown the beef, pork, and bacon.
- Add the chopped onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic and continue to cook, stirring often, until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, broth, and sage, and simmer until eggplant softens, about 15 minutes.
- Mash the cooked eggplant with a fork and season to taste with salt, black pepper, and cayenne (or Cajun seasoning).
- Add cooked rice and parsley, stir well to mix.
- Place in serving dish and enjoy!
- Notes: other possible additions include- for the holidays, dried cranberries, currants, or golden raisins; shrimp; curry powder could also be tasty.