Recipe by spatchcock
Prep time is soaking and roasting time for eggplant, as well as the average rising time for pizza crust.
Top Review by richard123
I added raw onion rings over the top (in amongst the cheese) and also used Gruyere and Pecorino cheeses along with a little dried hot chillies. It was delicious. I just think eggplant is a bit bland without my extra additions.
- 2 eggplants, cut 1/8 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pizza dough
- 6 -7 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 5 tablespoons more if desired part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 4 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt and let sit in a colander for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until the eggplant is tender and lightly browned.
- Let cool.
- Divide pizza dough in half to form two pizzas, or just make one large pizza. Follow directions for dough.
- Spread tomato sauce over each pizza round and sprinkle cheese over the top, dividing if necessary for two smaller pizzas.
- Arrange mushrooms and several eggplant slices over the cheese and sprinkle with fresh or dried oregano.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Follow baking directions for pizza dough.