Recipe by Bitsie
This is another recipe from my Cuban girlfriend. She said it came courtesy of Cocina Cubana club in Miami. Although I haven't made this yet I have devored this at her house. Light and savory main dish. So Good!
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in half
- 1⁄4 lb sweet ham, ground
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, separated and yolks beaten- save whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the two eggplant halves in salted water until soft (about 15 min.) Scoop the pulp and put in blender or food processor and grind.
- Mix the ground ham with the eggplant pulp.
- Melt the butter and saute the onion.
- Using a food processor or blender: Pour the cooked onions in the bowl, add flour, milk, salt and pepper and process until a white sauce is made.
- Cook the sauce in a Baine Marie process or in a saucepan at a very low temperature on top of stove, until thickened to desired consistency of cream.
- Add the beaten egg yolks to the ham and eggplant mixture.
- Add the white sauce and mix well.
- Beat the reserved egg white to merengue consistency, slowly adding the baking powder as you beat.
- Gently incorporate into the eggplant mixture.
- Pour into a souffle dish and bake at 375oF for approximately 45 minutes.