Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this up one day when I had too much eggplant and too many tomatoes in the garden. I really had no idea what to call it. It is very easy to make and very flexible.
- 2 large eggplants (white ones are nice but any will do)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (more if you like it hot, less if you don't)
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- Slice eggplant quite thick and marinate in oil, lemon juice, balsamic, salt and pepper. Let sit for a couple of hours. BBQ or broil slices until brown.
- Spray a rectangular glass ovenproof dish with Pam and arrange the slices on the bottom of the dish in a layer or 2.
- Soak the TVP in boiling water for 5 minutes and mix it with the ground beef. Add the egg, breadcrumbs and spices plus 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Arrange the raw beef mixture over the eggplant and pat it flat into a layer.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the beef and arrange a layer of sliced tomatoes on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes until the beef is cooked. Renmove the foil and bake another 15 minutes so the tomatoes get nice and well done.
We enjoyed this quite a bit, even my hubby who is not a big eggplant eater. I used soy ground beef and the TVP and it turned out well. It's a keeper recipe.