Recipe by Rosalind
I made this up one day when I had too much eggplant and too many tomatoes in the garden. I really had no idea what to call it. It is very easy to make and very flexible.
- 2 large eggplants (white ones are nice but any will do)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (more if you like it hot, less if you don't)
- 2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplant quite thick and marinate in oil, lemon juice, balsamic, salt and pepper. Let sit for a couple of hours. BBQ or broil slices until brown.
- Spray a rectangular glass ovenproof dish with Pam and arrange the slices on the bottom of the dish in a layer or 2.
- Soak the TVP in boiling water for 5 minutes and mix it with the ground beef. Add the egg, breadcrumbs and spices plus 1 teaspoons salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Arrange the raw beef mixture over the eggplant and pat it flat into a layer.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the beef and arrange a layer of sliced tomatoes on top.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes until the beef is cooked. Renmove the foil and bake another 15 minutes so the tomatoes get nice and well done.