Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been a favorite in my family for many years, especially with DH. Eggplant is not a vegetable we eat much of - but we do like this casserole! I usually make it as a main dish - but it could be used as a side.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn (2 cans if feeding more than 6)
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, chopped (2 if feeding more than 6)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- Peel the eggplant, then cook in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and dice the cooked eggplant.
- Mix together all the ingredients through the pepper.
- Put into a greased casserole dish.
- Cover with the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
The flavors in the casserole are terrific. I made it with half the cracker crumbs in an attempt to cut the carbs. I believe this is why my casserole was a little watery. Next time I will not precook the eggplant but will dice it and just cook it in the dish, I believe that will work fine.