Recipe by Julesong
This is an excellent spread, based on a recipe from "Caprial Cooks for Friends." It can also be very tasty served over cooked vegetables such as asparagus, or as a steak topper.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon roasted minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the cubed eggplant with the kosher salt and let sit in a colander to drain for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly rinse the salt off, then pat the cubed eggplant dry or use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.
- Heat a large sauté pan over high heat, then add the olive oil; when oil is very hot, add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally (don't over-stir or it can become mushy), until browned, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes; add the roasted garlic and stir to mix well.
- Remove pan from the heat, then add the balsamic vinegar and stir to mix well.
- Let the cooked mixture cool for about 20 minutes, then pour it into a food processor along with the bleu cheese and pulse it all together until it is well incorporated and it's the texture you prefer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve it with pita slices or crisp crackers.
- Makes about 2 cups of spread, depending on the size of eggplant used.