Recipe by Engrossed
Pretty tasty. Strong flavor. The eggplant soaks it up! Yummy with sticky rice.
Top Review by ejadamek
I don't like eggplant. I REALLY REALLY enjoyed this recipe! The reviews that say "too sour" I could see that. If you don't like the flavor of vinegar, I would cut it a little bit - or use rice wine vinegar that is a little less sour. When I do this recipe again (which will probably be tomorrow because 4 Cups of eggplant was only about half the eggplant!) I am going to try a little hoisin too. I could see fresh ginger too as interesting variations.
The other note is that "2x2" is only two dimensions on a three dimensional object! I cut it about 1 inch thick and it kept its meatiness without being hard or tough.
- 4 cups eggplants, cut into 2x2 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- cooking spray
- black pepper, if desired
- red chili pepper flakes, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Spray cookie sheet with oil. Place eggplant cubes on cookie sheet and spray them with oil.
- Broil eggplant until browned, about 5 minutes, flip them and 5 minutes more.
- In a medium saucepan, bring vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and if desired, pepper to a boil and simmer for 6 minutes. Add browned eggplant to sauce and cook for 5 minutes more, stir several times.
- Serve hot with sticky rice.