Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
I got this recipe from the side panel of a jar of Ian's Italian Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs. I have to say I really enjoyed this recipe. I changed a few things to suit my tastes however. I added soy sour cream instead of yogurt. The creamy taste of the sour cream with the tomato was really delicious. I used a 12 oz. tub of tofutti sour cream. I found that to be enough. I used grated Romano Cheese. It has a stronger flavour then the Parmesan which we like better. I also used a can of Fire Roasted whole tomatoes for this as I love the flavour. I pureed them in my Magic Bullet. I used herbs from my garden that I'd dried and I also added a tsp of dried thyme which is one of my favourite herbs.
- 3 large eggplants (I used the big dark purple ones)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (I used the large cyrstal sea salt)
- 2 onions (I used Vedalias and chopped them into cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup filtered water
- 1 pinch black pepper (ground, I used smoked black pepper)
- 16 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup ian's panko breadcrumbs (Italian is best here)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the eggplants into 1/4 inch slices, lightly salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to release the bitter taste.
- In the meantime, in a large skillet, saute your garlic and onions in the olive oil over low heat.
- This step took a long time, I spent about 35 minutes doing the above step. When the onion/garlic combo are golden and soft then its ready.
- Add the herbs, tomato puree, water, salt and pepper to the onion/garlic mixture.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and then steam. The recipe didn't say how long to steam so I did it for about 15-20 minutes.
- Then preheat your oven to 350'F. Grease a 9x13x2 inch casserole dish. I used spray oil.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the tomato puree onto the bottom of the oiled pan. It doesn't seem like much, but its good enough.
- Layer 1/3 of the steamed eggplant, 1/3 of the tomato puree, and 1/3 of the yogurt. Repeat the layers and end with eggplant and then tomato puree.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Then, uncover and sprinkle with the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Bon Appetit!