Recipe by someday2005
I can't recall where I found this recipe. but my family and mother-in-law loves it. It's a wonderful dish and easy to prepare.
- 1 eggplant, diced small
- 1 lb italian sweet turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 -3 whole garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh spinach (optional) or fresh basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute eggplant and garlic in olive oil until eggplant is soft. Remove to a plate. In the same pan, cook the sausage. Add the red wine and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce the liquid. Add broth and the hand-crushed tomatoes. Return eggplant to the pan and salt to taste. Add optional fresh spinach or basil. Simmer up to one hour (I usually do about 30 min) until liquid has reduced slightly and sauce has thickened. Serve over penne, or rice for a glutton-free meal.