Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious! We are always searching for different rice recipes and this was great! We served it with Carne con Papas (Stew Meat with Diced Potatoes) with the gravy and steamed vegetables. Found it on mealsforyou.com (Recipe not posted yet).
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- parsley, chopped fine for garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic 3-4 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Stir in next 4 ingredients (eggplant, tomato, bay leaf & thyme) and mix thoroughly.
- Cover saucepan and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (rice & chicken stock) and salt and pepper to taste and return to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- For vegetarian do not use Chicken stock.
i really liked this! it is a keeper. printed for my recipe book. I had a large eggplant so i doubled liquid-- i used 2 cups veggie broth and 2 cups water and a whole tomato.
DH and I enjoyed this combo of rice and veg. Very flavorful and unusual rice side dish. I used low-sodium chicken broth and found I did need to add a little salt later. I served with fried salmon patties.