Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious! :) Makes 4 servings as a main dish. It can easily serve 6-8 if you add fried or extra firm tofu, slices of chicken breast, or white fish, and it’s delicious that way, too. I’ve also added sliced cabbage to the vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (you can add more if you want it really garlicky)
- 2 tablespoons fermented black bean sauce
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, about a pound total
- 1⁄2 julienned red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 julienned orange bell pepper
- 1⁄2 julienned yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup water or 3⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- cooked rice, for serving
- Wash, then cut eggplant into 3/4-inch pieces (no need to peel).
- Heat oils together in nonstick skillet or wok over high temperature. Add the minced garlic and stir-fry, stirring, for 20 seconds, then add the black bean sauce and stir-fry for 15 seconds.
- Add eggplant, peppers, and onion and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, chili sauce, and water, and stir well.
- Cook for 10 to12 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are done to your preference.
- Serve immediately over hot rice.
Tasty and easy. I like a bit more kick and would add more of each of the sauces and garlic. Left out the oil and served over brown rice. I also added tofu to make it a complete meal. All together a satisfying meal. Thanks for posting.