Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Got this one from my dad. He got it from a magazine or newspaper or who knows where?? A great one for oyster-lovers, but not for fat-watchers. Thanks Pops.
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 lbs eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon creole seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 (12 ounce) containersfresh standard oysters, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a big skillet until crisp; drain bacon on a paper towel-line plate; crumble and set aside.
- Add eggplant and next 5 ingredients to the bacon drippings; cover; cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove skillet from heat; add in breadcrumbs, cheese, and creole seasoning; stir to combine; set aside.
- In another skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add oysters; cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or just until edges curl; drain.
- In a greased 13x9 inch baking dish, layer half the eggplant mixture.
- Evenly spread oyster mixture.
- Spread remaining eggplant mixture over oysters.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with bacon; serve hot.