Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a great side dish with a Japanese meal-or any Asian meal for that matter.
- 5 Japanese eggplants, 340 g (we can't get Japanese, so I just use the big, fat purple ones!)
- 3 green peppers (120g)
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons miso
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sake
- 2 teaspoons dashi (I make up instant according to the packets directions)
- Cut of stem of eggplants and peel leaving alternate stripes of skin.
- Cut into 1cm slices crosswise (I cut into 1cm chunks as I can't get Japanese eggplant and am using the big, fat purple ones).
- Soak in water for 5 minutes and then drain.
- Deseed the peppers and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the sesame oil in a frypan and saute the eggplant over high heat; add the peppers and saute further.
- When the vegetables become soft, add the miso and sugar and saute until the miso begins to caramelise.
- Add the mirin, sake, dashi and cook over a medium heat until the liquid is almost gone.
I cook weekly for a group of 40 Japanese people in Japan. I am always scared to serve national ethnic food but this was a hit! I made my own dashi and used extra mirin because I had no sake.