Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From Kerasma's Summer 2006 Greek Gourmet Traveler magazine. By David Tsirekas, Owner-Chef, Perama, Sydney.
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 large zucchini
- all-purpose flour, as needed
- olive oil (for frying)
- 250 g feta, crumbled
- 100 g kasseri cheese, grated
- 1 bunch shallot, finely chopped
- 1 bunch basil, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse polenta
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
- 6 large eggs, slightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice eggplant and zucchini with skin on and place in large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle flour over the zucchini and eggplant and toss well until they are all coated.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer. Make sure the oil is hot.
- Have a tray lined with paper to drain.
- Fry handfuls at a time of the diced eggplant and zucchini, scooping them out and placing them onto the paper when golden brown.
- Cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Toss crumbled feta, grated kasseri, basil, and shallots with the eggplant zucchini mixture.
- Mix all together but keep chunky and wet enough to mold well together.
- Shape golf-ball size pieces out of the mixture and place on a sheet pan.
- In another tray mix the coarse polenta, sesame seeds, and breadcrumbs.
- Set a plate of flour in front of you, next to the sesame mixture, and next to that the eggs.
- Dip the fritters first in the flour, then in the egg, then in the sesame mixture.
- Place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Chill the patties to firm and set.
- Fry again until golden and serve with tzatziki.