I put together three of my favorite dishes to create an outstanding curry side.
Make and share this Eggplant and Dhal Curry With Basmati Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree or 1⁄4 cup tomato soup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400’, stab the eggplant with a fork a couple of times and put in a small casserole dish, uncovered on the middle rack for 30 minutes. When done, run under some cool water and peel of skin, and scrape out all of the seeds. Place in a food processor. (do not process until all the ingredients are ready.)
- While the eggplant is roasting, brown the basmati rice in a skillet with 2T of olive oil, the turmeric, salt, and cumin seeds for 5 minutes. Then add the 2 cups water, bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Start the lentils cooking in a pot with about 2” of water covering them. Bring them to a boil and then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the water is almost gone. After they are done cooking, put them along with 2T of lentil water in the food processor with the eggplant.
- In a small skillet, cook 3T olive oil, the mustard seeds, the chopped onions, and the garlic. (This dish is not spicy, but if you want it to be, just add the cayenne to this mixture.) After onions are tender and mustard seeds start sputtering, add the salt and the curry seasoning. Stir in a handful of washed baby spinach and wilt into the mixture. Add all of this to the food processor and process on low with the eggplant and the lentils. Add the cup of pureed tomatoes (I use some leftover homemade tomato soup that has pureed tomatoes, a little sugar, salt, and tomato paste in it)and process it all up and then enjoy.