Recipe by Kira#
I devised this combination originally to be put on top of Rice, but it actually is a lot better on pasta, especially potato Gnocchi.
- 450 g eggplants
- 500 g beef mince
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 small red chilies
- 2 canned tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 100 ml red wine
- Tabasco sauce
- dry oregano
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut Eggplant into pieces and soak in salted water for about 20 minutes. Take out and dry.
- Slowly melt butter and olive oil together in a large pan, make sure not Add the finely chopped chili and garlic and simmer on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped onion – cook on low for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, make sure there is enough oil.
- Add the eggplant and leave to cook until the eggplant is soft.
- In the meantime cook the beef mince in a separate pan, if you want a stronger garlic flavour, add some crushed garlic to this as well.
- Add one tin of tomatoes to the Beef Mince, and one to the Eggplant, let it cook for a few minutes, then put a splash of red wine in the Eggplant. (This doesn’t really matter how you want to do it, because the next step is putting the mince in the eggplant pan anyway!).
- Add the beef mince to the other pan.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Add some dry oregano to the sauce, salt, pepper and some Tabasco sauce. Only add as much Tabasco sauce as you think you can handle, but you should put in some because it does make a difference to the sauce.
- If the sauce is looking a bit watery, add some more butter at different stages in the cooking process.
- Serve over pasta (Try it over Gnocchi!) and put some grated Parmesan cheese on top. Season to your taste.